Fashion: Your crash course on getting to know the new king at the helm of Yves Saint Laurent – Anthony Vaccarello
Anthony Vaccarello; a name synonymous with impossibly short hemlines, daring cuts and the successor to Hedi Slimane at Yves Saint Laurent. Now let’s get down to the basics, because let’s face it, no one wants to be caught out not knowing who is at the helm of one of fashion’s most iconic brands. And yes we are well aware that we are typing Yves – we could be wrong but we feel a resurrection coming on.
– 36-year-old Anthony Vaccarello is an Italian-Belgian fashion designer born in Brussels.
– Vaccarello started his career as a sculptor, studying at Brussels’ La Cambre School. He graduated in 2006 with an honors degree (side fun fact: Azzedine Alaïa also started as a sculptor, while Raf Simons began his career at a furniture designer)
– In 2006 he won first place at the Hyères International Festival of Fashion and Photography for his collection inspired by Italian porn star La Cicciolina
-He went on to capture Karl Lagerfeld’s attention, beginning work at Fendi on the fashion house’s fur line where he worked for two years
– In 2009 Vaccarello became creative director of his eponymous brand launching a ready to wear collection during haute-couture week where he presented 5 leather and organza skirts to much acclaim
– While working on his eponymous collection, Vaccarello simultaneously served as creative director for Versus Versace for three years
-In 2011 Vaccarello won the Association Nationale pour le Development des Arts de la Mode (ANDAM) fashion award
-Vaccarello’s first collection for Saint Laurent will be spring/summer 2017, presented at Paris Fashion Week this October.
What does this mean for Yves Saint Laurent? Known for his clean lines, daring hemlines, love of leather and impossibly high hemlines, Vaccarello is set to take the labels understated sex appeal to a more ‘in your face’ level without compromising on those rock and roll vibes.
What does this mean for you? It’s time to invest in a treadmill and to dust off those leg magic machines because Vaccarello’s aesthetic favors the genetically blessed. Our prediction, cycle classes are set to soar.